October 07, 2008

Decoration And Acquisition

My apartment is not conducive to decorating. There is not enough space to really rearrange the furniture and definitely not enough space to acquire new furniture. I would like to move and rent a house soon, so there is not much point in doing too much hard core decorating anyway. Despite this I wanted to try to create one space that was comfy, somewhat put together, and representative of my taste. I settled on the guest bedroom because it has the least amount of stuff already in it, and it is the least lived in so it will stay the neatest and not be in anyone's way.
I have not gotten very far yet, but I did take the first step by bringing a canopy back with me from my trip to Bend. This canopy used to be on my bed at my parents' house, but they are trying to clean things out anyway so it worked well for me to use it in my apartment instead. I hung it over the guest bed, from hooks for easy put-up and take-down.

A good first step toward a relaxing,
feminine, space.

I added the star lamp, which doesn't exactly go
with the look I am picturing, but it is cute and
I have nowhere else to put it!

Another thing I brought back from Bend with me: these pretty needlepoints. Apparently, they were made by my Great, Great, Grandmother, which makes them even more special. I can't wait to hang them up in the guest bedroom to add to the charm!

These were the frames they came in and I am not
usually a huge fan of gold, but I like the subtle
gold rims along the inside edges.

I also wanted to share some pictures of some of the things I have recently acquired. However, I only managed to take pictures of one of the things before my stupid camera ate the batteries. I couldn't find new ones, so the other photos will have to wait until I can get to the store.

I got this amazing handkerchief box at the Olympic Antique Shop in Port Townsend, WA.

So pretty!

As you can see, I already stocked it with
my fancy handkerchiefs and gloves.

I love, love, love it! I love the colors and the delicate portraits of the ladies. The shop was small and the shop lady and I talked about several of the things she had there. I gushed over this piece quite loudly and expressed my regret that I could not afford to buy it since the price tag said seventy-some dollars. Ms. Shop Lady must have seen how much I loved it because she threw it in for free with my other purchase! A $70 box, free! And that was before she even knew it was my birthday. Thank you so, so much Shop Lady, I will definitely be returning to your shop next time I am in town. I will post pictures of thing I actually purchased as soon as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment