November 02, 2011

Dia de los Muertos And Halloween

Halloween was super fun and walking on 4th Mister B and I even had some people who recognized or costumes, yay! It was exciting because not many people knew who we were. I think this may be the first picture that has ever been on here of Mister B, but I really wanted to share our costumes and I can't do that if he is not in it so there ya go.


This one is my favorite.


This is our little group for Halloween. From left to right you have: a hipster, Han Solo, The Doctor, Amy Pond, and Alice from Twilight.


It was super fun and one of my favorite things is that every single piece that I bought for my costume (which is all of it) is just regular clothes and I can re-wear everything a lot! Also, Tucson Comic-Con is this weekend so we will probably wear our costumes to that too.

Other peoples' blogs have some wonderful Dia de los Muertos posts, but I just wanted to share an art show I went to see at Tohono Chul here in Tucson. All the art was based on Dia de los Muertos and not only did I get to see some awesome art, but I also got to learn more about the traditions that go along with the day. I did take pictures of some of the art (it didn't say not to), but I wasn't sure if it would be kosher to post them on here or not. What do you think? I don't remember who the artists are so I couldn't give credit. One thing I did want to share is this close up of part of one of the pieces:


Is that not the most amazing fabric you have ever seen?! I need it!

My favorite part of the exhibit was an interactive altar art installation.



People were allowed to leave notes and offerings and they even supplied paper and pens. I wrote one and left it for our Cuppa who we lost earlier this year. It was such an amazing emotional experience. I even teared up while I was writing my note. And leaving it there for him with everyone else's thoughts and wishes for their loved ones felt good.


I am just a girl from Oregon where this celebration is not so common, but this whole Dia de los Muertos thing just feels right! I am even going to the parade here in Tucson on Sunday which is a pretty big deal.

I hope you all had a nice weekend!

ps. I just noticed that my last post was #200! That makes this 201. Another landmark passed, 300 here I come!

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on passing the 200 mark...it always amazes me that I have anything to say that others want to read....haha!

    I have to admit, I have no idea who your characters are....then again, I live without tv or cable of any kind....bizarre I know :D

    I'm really embracing the Dia de los Muertos tradition myself....it is such a wonderful thing to remember with gratitude and keep love in our hearts!

    Hugs, Alia...
    Cameron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a wonderful time was had by all on Halloween! So glad you are experiencing the wonderful holiday of Dia De Los Muertos, it is one of my treasured favorites for many reasons but also because... Exactly! it does feel so right.
    Have a great day,
    Always, Queenie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol! How did I miss this one!
    You guys look great:)
    Thanks for stopping by.
    Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your 200th post! You and your Mr. are so super cute! :) Thanks for sharing these fun photos!

    ReplyDelete